Friday 18 October 2013

27 years ago today...............................

Do you remember the first time you saw the love of your life? Close your eyes, let your mind take you back. Can you feel it?

Well let me take you on a little journey back in time, my time, the time my life changed completely. 

I can remember it as if it was yesterday. I walked into the kitchen to make myself some tea. I was doing homework. Year 11 of high school. I wanted to do well, and as I wasn't naturally gifted, I had to work my butt off to keep my good grades. I was a good girl. I wanted my mother to be proud of me. I didn't smoke, drink, sneak out, get pregnant, take drugs, or tattoo myself, and I still accompanied my mother to church each Sunday. To some I was 16 and BORING. But as the youngest of 5, I was smart enough to know that I didn't want to end up like some of my siblings.


Sat at my kitchen table was my brother, his at the moment girlfriend who was the mother of his daughter, and this guy who was nodding off at the table, and looked liked he was stoned. Well most of the 'friends' my brother had where all into 'sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll', so it wasn't hard for me to jump to that conclusion was it?

He was introduced to me as 'Dicky'. I remember rolling my eyes and thinking, 'Yep that is an appropriate name for a druggie looser', and going back to my room to listen to my radio which was playing hits from Madonna, Cyndi lauper, Dire Straits, Whitney Houston, Lionel Richie, George Michael,  Billy Ocean and Bananrama. Oh the 80's was good for music.


I stayed in my room until they all left. I remember hoping that he wouldn't come back..........but he did. However the next time I met him, he wasn't all dopey, he was clean, and shaven, and very polite. Nothing like my brother's typical friends. I soon discovered he had a steady job, again not like my brother, and that the other day he had just come off night shift and hadn't gone to bed yet that day, and was really tired.

So I mentally scolded myself for being a judgemental bitch, and decided not to be a snob. But the name 'Dicky' had to go, that was just yucky. One afternoon hanging out watching videos, and laughing, which was what started my attraction to this guy, he could make me laugh like nobody could. I started asking questions. I am female, and nosey  and I liked him, so I wanted to know more.

His name in fact was Richard, much nicer than DICK, so I never called him 'Dicky' again. Turns out he hated being called that too, so I scored well on that one. He was a shift worker at our local steel works. In fact he was still doing his apprenticeship as a fitter and turner, which is what my father was. 

A few weeks past, and this boy became a regular visitor to our house. It didn't take me long to have a huge crush on him. He was funny, cute, and  he didn't treat me like some whore, he actually was nice, and friendly, and we too became friends. 


At the time my brother had broken up with his girlfriend and they were fighting over custody. It was a difficult time, and he was a very supporting mate, and thankfully my brother did get full custody of his daughter, and trust me he was the more stable parent, and he now lived with us and we helped him raise his little girl, who I adored.


My 17th birthday came, and he bought me a blue teddy bear I named Nat. He still sits on our bed head, and has watched over us for years. By my birthday I was completely head over heels for this boy, who I didn't think liked me one bit in that way, but occasionally I did get the feeling he might, but then I had mistaken a guys friendliness for more deeper affection before, so I was determined not to make the same mistake again and get hurt.  So this time he would have to make all the moves.


It wasn't easy for him, I did, or so I thought, try and give him clear clues that I REALLY LIKED HIM, but he didn't seem to get them. So I just waited, hoped, prayed, that he one day he would like me the way I like him.


Then came that fateful weekend. My brother was going down the coast, and would be away all weekend. I was bummed about it has I knew that would mean that 'he' wouldn't be coming around to watch videos and hang out. So I kept myself busy that  Saturday. I did my chores, and then got stuck into my history assignment on WWII, Pearl Harbour in fact.

I was almost done, in the middle of drawing a Japanese bomber, when the phone rang. I picked it up never expecting it to be him. 

"Hello, it's Richard"

I remember my pulse racing, I nervously played with my hair and steadied my voice.

"Hi, erm Tony's not here? He is away for the weekend...."

"I know...." came his reply, then awkward silence.

Shit, shit, oh yes, wow, why, what does this mean, stay cool, bollocks, crap, shit, yes , yes, no don't read too much into this, he is probably just bored.............my head was in a zillion mode.

Awkward silence................


"So what are you doing today?" finally he broke the quiet.

"An assignment for history..."

"Oh, what on?"

"Pearl Harbour..."

"Oh I know a lot about that, I have some books that might help you?"

I was about to say , No that's OK I have finished all the questions, but I stopped myself. Instead I said, "Really, that would be great.....how come?"

He was a model maker, and part of the hobby is researching the planes, and finding out all the ins and outs, so he did in fact have  books on the subject and pictures. Loads of pictures.

Through discussing this I told him a fib. I said I was trying to draw a pane, but it looked retarded. Well it wasn't that bad, but I knew he could draw really well, and so I gave him an opening to see if he would come help me, I really just wanted to see him. I was missing him so much. Weekends just were not the same without a visit from him.


To my surprise he offered to pop around, and help me with my homework, he offered to draw the pane for me, while I finished the assignment questions.

"Oh really, you would do that? I don't want to put you out or anything?" YES YES YES.................

"No it's cool, I'll go look for the books and I'll come over, see you soon"

It was the longest hour of my life. 

  1. I had to rub out my just about completed plane.
  2. Draw another half hearted one that looked crappy.
  3. Brush my teeth, hair, and change my top.
  4. Tell my mother that he was coming over to help me with my homework.
  5. Brush my hair again.
  6. Bite my nails

Then he was there, smiling, and books in hand, his own pencils, and my stomach did flip flops.

Thanking him maybe a little more than I should have, I was nervous as hell, and  feeling silly.... he just laughed, and said "it's OK really, I like drawing planes."

I sat next to him, and went through his books, he drew, and I read, and took out some really good information, and used it in my essay, which I had to re-write again as computers where not invented, and so with the new info I had to start again.

It was nice. He was a perfectionist, and an artist, and his plane looked amazing. We chatted effortlessly , and as the homework was just about done, I became sad, thinking that he will go home now. 

Mum was cooking ravioli for dinner, and so I asked him if he'd like to stay for dinner, to say thanks for helping me out. Yes it's true, I wanted to repay him for his help, and also was desperate to keep him with me just a bit  longer. 

He said YES. 

We ate dinner, then I helped mum wash up, and we then hung out in front of the TV. I can't even tell you what was on. Probably "HEY HEY it's SATURDAY", but then I have no clue.

It was getting later and later, and mum had actually gone to bed. The clock was ticking closer  and closer to midnight and we were both aware that he would have to go home soon.

Getting up, he said he best go, and I thanked him again for all his help, our eyes locked, and I was mentally telling him that I really, REALLY like you, and he looked down at the floor, and then went to walk out, but stopped and turn back and looked at me. 

I held my breath...............

He took a few deep breaths himself, and then just came out with it.

"You can say no if you want to, I'll understand, but I really like you, and I was wondering if you would go out with me?"


HALLELUJAH! Finally after months of trying to drop hints he finally understood that I would absolutely love to go out with him.


I smiled so big, and he smiled nervously back, and I said "YES, I'd like that"

Then he jumped in the air, and spun around, touch the floor and yelled "TOUCH DOWN" and went home.

I stood there grinning like a silly cat, and wondering what the hell just happened.


Then next day, when he popped over , my brother  was back home. We couldn't stop smiling and grinning at each other. But I did have to clear something up with him......

"When you asked me last night if I'd go out with you....." a worried look shot across his sweet face ".....did you mean go out on a date, or go out as in going out, like be your girlfriend? It's just I wasn't really sure, and I wouldn't want to get the wrong end of the stick?......."


He relaxed a little " No, I meant would you be my girl friend, I really hope that you will?"

"Oh  good, yes, I was hoping that is what you meant, I just wasn't sure if that is what you meant, and I didn't want to look silly, so I thought I better just clear that up, cause ......." I ramble when I am nervous.

He just smiled like he won lotto. I was on the moon. So high. 2 weeks after that day he kissed me for the first time, and we have stayed best friends ever since. It really is in his kiss!


Last night our daughter said that today wasn't really an anniversary  that our wedding date is really the anniversary. Hubby told her that if I hadn't of said yes that night, we wouldn't have had a wedding so in fact this date is more important, and I couldn't agree more.

This morning I woke up and read this on face book.............. I am glad I fibbed about my homework, or this may never have happened.......


 



27 years ago today I asked Criss to be my girlfriend. She said yes!

This song pretty much sums up how I feel about her. She really is the greatest thing about me.

    8 comments:

    1. Such a sweet story! Happy anniversary!

      If you'd like to learn more about Pearl Harbor, ask my grandson Lee. He's stationed there as a member of the US Air Force.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Don.

        My history days are long over. ☆

        But I do appreciate your comments.

        Can you remember the first time you knew that someone else was special?

        Delete
      2. Yes. In 1950 or 51 I hitchhiked from my college in Tennessee to Yellowstone Park to work for the summer, just on a lark, having visited the park with my parents the year before. I fell head over heels in love with the prettiest girl I had ever seen who was working at a soda fountain at Fishing Bridge Lodge where I worked as a waiter and dishwasher in the restaurant.

        Her name was Bonnie Lou L.... and she was from Iowa. I would sit for hours on a stool at the soda fountain admiring her, but I was too shy do more than have casual conversations with her until just a few days before she had to leave. I asked her if she would spend some time with me. She said she would love to.

        We would walk down to the shore of the lake, hold hands, perhaps kiss a few times, and just talk with each other. It was all rather innocent.

        The day she left to go home I went to the bar and got rip-roaring tipsy while shedding invisible tears into my beer. Someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around. There stood Bonnie Lou.

        She had gotten off her train and come back because, as she said, she couldn't bear to leave me.

        A few days later both of us left and went to our homes. We stayed in touch through letters for a while. Then she became an airline hostess where she met and married a doctor.

        So my adventure didn't work out as well as yours.

        Delete
      3. Oh wow, how sad. Did you ever try and find her? She may have never forgotten about you either?

        Delete
      4. No. I didn't think it would be proper after she got married.

        Delete
    2. That was super sweet. Wait, your "11th year of high school"? How many years of high school did you attend?
      I don't really remember the first time I saw the love of my life, we were both really drunk at 2AM at a party in college. But we tell people that we met through friends of friends.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Here in Australia we start high school in year 8 and go through to year 12. After that it is work, college or university.

      Hubby doesn't believe in soul mates, in fact he is convinced that the odds of us meeting when we did are less than 1%.

      I however have a more romantic view, and believe that the only reason things never worked out with other people, was that it was never meant to be with them.

      My physio was shocked I even remembered the date, she has no idea what day she and her partner got together. My hubby wouldn't remember either if I wasn't reminding him.

      I am sure that you both have a memory where you knew that things between you changed, and life changed along with it?

      What I find so freaky is that in my head, I am still that girl, but when I look in the mirror, it's like someone is playing a dirty prank.

      Getting old sucks! Lol

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      ReplyDelete
    4. I do remember meeting my hubby for the first time and where it happened. Not sure of the date though, possibly June I think.
      Beautiful story Criss. Congratulations on your anniversay

      ReplyDelete