Monday 22 April 2013

CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE METEORS...................



A huge event happens tonight in our history. But here in SA it is cold wet and raining, thus chances of seeing this is ZERO.





Attention sky watchers, the night sky is about to get a little more interesting tonight!
Tonight is the peak activity of the Lyrid Meteor Shower.  It happens annually as Earth passes through the stream of debris from the comet Thatcher.    On any given year, people can observe 10 to 20 meteors per hour.  Some years the show is even more vibrant and intense.  Unfortunately, a lot of the show will be “dulled” by moon light tonight.  Basically, this means that the moon is at a fuller phase and brighter.  It will wash out the appearance of the more faint Lyrid meteors and only brighter streaks will be visible. 
Here’s what you need to know about watching them.
Time:
The meteor shower is best seen right before dawn Monday morning.  This means you would need to be outside between 4-4:30 AM. 
What to do:
  • You’ll need to get outside of any city as the city lights will make the meteor shower too difficult to see
  • Allow your eyes a good 30-40 minutes to adjust to the dark
  • Lay back and look directly overhead
  • You might also want to grab some blankets to stay warm
  • Sit patiently
  • And no equipment necessary, just your eyes!
The meteor shower will still be happening throughout the entire night. Due to how bright the moon will be, it will be more difficult to see the meteors.  But it’s not impossible! 
http://fox59.com/2013/04/21/lynrid-meteor-shower-peaks-tonight/#axzz2RAxN6oH3

Read more: http://fox59.com/2013/04/21/lynrid-meteor-shower-peaks-tonight/#ixzz2RAzmcXwK




So if you happen to have clear skies, and pop out to watch, please take pictures so we can all see this incredible sight.

ENJOY.

6 comments:

  1. Criss,

    I believe you obtained the information in this post from a TV station in Indiana, USA website. If so, the time given is for the Central time zone in the USA.

    What in the world are you doing observing an Indiana Fox News TV station?

    I'll, within minutes, be going outside to collect our morning newspaper and while out will check out the sky overhead here in Alabama, USA, but I may be one of the few people on earth that doesn't have a camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I am not watching Fox news, just FACE BOOK news.

    Looks like we missed the whole thing completely by hours. It was raining here so we would not have seen anything anyway.

    I will hopefully get to see something on this wonderful thing we call the Internet soon. Surely someone watched it and took photos? lol

    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. And this is what happens when I slack off my reading, I miss awesome stuff like this. Then again I bet I would have been sleeping instead. Sounds awesome though1!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may have been. I was sleeping too. I have not seen any photos yet. Maybe it was a real fizzer! lol

      Delete
  4. As exciting as this might have been, I like my bed too much to be up in the middle of the night.

    I do remember the excitement with Haleys Comet when that happened last. I am pretty sure I caught a glimpse of that one

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed that one too! I guess I may not be cut out for all this star gazing stuff! lol

    ReplyDelete