Tuesday 4 September 2012

Amazing what a few hours can do....







This morning I woke up feeling a little on the blah side. Child 3 was already up and constructing some massive, highly alien, advanced weapon out of Lego. In fact, the whole Lego bin was involved, as was the marble maze, and the 100 or so tiny plastic animals. The lounge room looked like someone had broken in and started a war.

As I walked up the hall I could hear him chatting away, and if I am not mistaken, he was happy and singing to himself. It is amazing how something so simple can make you smile, but there it is my first smile of the day.

We had the usual rush of breakfast, getting dressed, and of course my shower, to  squeeze in there, but somehow we do this each morning and walk out that door and head to school.

It was my day to take a group of kids for guided reading. In my group I have an autistic boy. He wont read or write, (not that he can't, he can and very well) he just sits there and arranges pencils. If you ask him if he would like to join in he just says NO. The teacher tells me to just let him do what he wants. 

It saddens me that he isn't able to attend a special needs school, somewhere that has people trained to deal and help such kids. It isn't his fault he is like that. It certainly isn't his parents, and yet they are not allowed to send him to  special school, because he was deemed too smart. So it is OK to stress him out, have him scream and shout, and get frustrated, have teachers trying to educate him when he wont do what they say. What is wrong with this picture?? 

Anyway, after that I had my physio appointment. Well once I found my keys, which I had left on the counter in the supermarket, and of course was the last place I went to when re-tracing my steps! I always have a good laugh there, not the supermarket, physio, keep up. Despite the pain my physio causes, I always feel better. She is like my fortnightly sounding board. Almost my confessional. We have shared many secrets she and I. 

My day was picking up, it was again warm and sunning. When I got home, all was quiet. I checked my phone and saw a text message from child 1. It read something like this......"Shame we can't spend this lovely day together, I love you so much, blah blah...." young love, so cute. I had to giggle as I knew this message was not meant for me. So I sent a text back, telling my daughter that I loved her too, and to have a great day at Uni. To which my reply was along the lines of Sorry mum, I hit the wrong button, I love you too and would love to spend the day with you too......... YEAH RIGHT! ^_^

I turned on the computer, firstly I see that my friend had left the air port with her man, and they are off on a wonderful second honey moon, and then I discovered an email from hubby's cousin in England. Aunty Kath had passed away, and even though she was the ripe old age of 97, bless her, it made me sad. 
This darling old lady, who we didn't know existed until one day sorting through hubby's parents personal effects, (they both died within 3 months of each other) did we discover that mum was in active correspondence with her older sister. Hubby had no idea. Long story. 

Anyway, the task of informing this woman in England who had just learned of her brother-in-laws death, came down to me. This is how we met 18 years ago. It was one of the hardest letters to write, I can tell you. She wrote back, and she kept writing. Not only that, she took it upon herself, to remember my kids. Each child, every year, without fail, got a card for Christmas, and again on their birthday, with 5 pounds in it. At first I could just read her letters. She was  so kind, and loved her garden, and her children, and their children. I would send her updates on the kids, and photos, and an Australian Calender each Christmas, and this is how it was. Her eye sight became poorly, and she couldn't write anymore. She was in hospital for Child 1 birthday this year and hubby's cousin was being constantly reminded to send birthday wishes, as she couldn't. Even in that state she thought of others. 

I sat here in the quiet, and pondered life. I must admit I started feeling a bit sorry for myself. Life, it pauses for no one. So I released the feelings into the world via a creative surge of poetry, rather than keeping it all bottled in. It helped. 

But then it was time to head back to school and pick up my boys. Parent teacher interviews today. I can't tell you enough how wonderful it is to hear good news for a change. The boys are OK. Improvement. It was wonderful. We walked home, and got some hot chips, and just relaxed. Child 3 had a bath, then fell asleep watching a movie. When putting him to bed to tells me that he was not sleeping, and he is not tired, but rolled over and was out like a light. Child 2, did his homework, and put the bins out, had his shower, and was practicing the art of YO YO. I googled some YouTube tips, and he is now all inspired. (Couldn't do that in my day!) I also impressed him with my yo yo skills, yeah that's right, I can still do it!!

They are both tucked up in bed, sound asleep, and happy. The massive pile of Lego is now all packed away, and I am here, sharing this day with you, waiting for my hubby to come home from work, so I can wrap my arms around him and give him his dinner. I would be so lost without him. 

Child 1 is also coming home. It is her second day at her first job, and I am hoping that she is finding it a little easier today. We all need to start somewhere right.


Life is too sort to waste it. Love as much as you can. Be like Aunty Kath, spread a little kindness and watch it grow.







No comments:

Post a Comment