Saturday 22 September 2012

1950's........OH HAPPY DAYS ??



What kind of reality was this?

When have you ever seen a couple in their Sunday best, grocery shopping like it's a romantic dinner for two??

No wonder women of the 50's were depressed, and unhappy. Is it no surprise that in the 60's they burnt their bra's and embraced their freedoms as people.


I mean look at this? This is certainly something I do with my girl-friends on a weekly basis. Let's get together and sniff PAINT THINNER!!!!  Could this have been the start of the LSD craze?


Got to love this one. Men please don't help out around the house, or with the kids. Just buy her a new washing machine. There now, she wont be too tired to put out tonight. No wonder our sisters fort so hard for the vote!





But this woman isn't sad because she has no life of her own, no personality, no need for self fulfillment. Her husband has bought her a truck load of electrical goods, so she wont kill herself doing housework!






See how wonderfully happy she is here polishing the silver. He is looking a bit scared actually....maybe he is questioning if she is actually happy cleaning or that she has been sniffing to much paint thinner??  Tough call.




Or this one...............I just can't even put into words how this one grates.....


Just get the little woman addicted to smoking. That way sleepless nights wont effect her anymore.... and she stay the happy home maker  like the woman in this picture...


....see smoking around her children hasn't caused them any harm! They all look totally normal to me!! Don't you think so??


Hubby is totally devoted and understanding. This picture says it all. Let's not worry about food, let's get you hammered, and then I can have my way with you for burning my dinner!


But this one is a classic.............WHAT the hell is this product??? Is she helping him hide the evidence? Or making him really stink so that the 'other women' or 'meat' stay the hell away?? Not sure??



Ummm YES!!!  Either way I think she got tired of cleaning and cooking all day, and making sure the children were seen but not heard, and that she was always neat and clean and her lippy just so. She burnt her bra, and went out with the girls for some 'me' time and left him at home with the kids and the cooking. This made him really mad at first, so mad he could kill her.



Then he realised that his woman did a lot for him, and the kids and he learnt to be a better man, and father. He got to really know his children. He appreciated her  more, and she in turn became more loving, and softer, and gave up getting high on paint thinner. 

The truth is men and women both deserve respect, and to be valued for their work. If a man wants a woman to be his slave then he isn't going to have that kitten he wants as well. Relationships are give and take. No wonder we had such a huge sexual revolution. Look at the pigeon holes people were put in. 

I for one am VERY GRATEFUL I have a man who shares the load of life with me. We are always there for each other. If I am sick, he picks up the slack, and vice-versa.  He cooks, and cleans, and so do I. We both work outside the home, and we both work inside the home, and our kids with any luck will continue with this respectful fair tradition. 

These ads certainly explain my parents era. No wonder dad was so useless about the house, especially the kitchen. He couldn't even tell you where we kept the glasses. He wasn't the only one like that too. Many of their friends all displayed this trait. The women bore all the  responsibility  of the house, paying bills, shopping, and the kids. They were really unhappy, and frustrated most of the time. They aged too soon. The men just worked, and then came home and were served like kings. I swore that the man I married would not be such a big baby about the house. He had to respect and value my hard work too. My mother worked really hard, all day long. I am not really sure if my dad ever really understood just how demanding five kids can be. It was the 60's too, so there was none of this modern stuff we have now. I wanted a husband. A lover. A partner. A friend. Not an over grown child, that occasionally wanted to mount me.

And lucky for me, I got what I asked for. 








4 comments:

  1. I can't imagine coming from that generation, I'd prolly have my hubs in a shallow grave back in the 50's

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally agree with you, although we would have been given sedatives, and told to take up smoking to relive stress. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. But there was family structure. Mom was at home when the kiddies came home from school. Home work was done. Dinner as a family. And daddy didn't play when it came to discipline and he demanded respect. Instead of women's liberation movement in the 60's there should have been a movement to teach men, husbands, to appreciate, respect the many roles a woman holds in life. There should have been more awareness of domestic abuse, physical and mental. Maybe our society would be different then it is now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good point Michelle. I wonder why it is that our society deems things to be always in extreme, and not in balance? We go from one form of unfairness to another. Now family's can't even have the stability of a one income earner. Job security, what's that??

    Today we can say women have become the men. BALANCE.Treat others like you want to be treated yourself. It is really that simple.

    LOVE people. The world needs love. When we are govern by greed, then things go wrong. Respect, fairness, communication, trust = LOVE. Without it the whole balance is tipped, and we have what we have today. Greedy selfish people, broken homes,addiction,depression,and HATE.

    We can only hope, that the next revolution is one that will put the balance back, and then maybe we can see a good future for our kids. ^_^

    ReplyDelete