Wednesday 29 August 2012

The Things We Do!


The Things We Do!


After a long day Tuesday, spent mostly at the hospital having some scans done, (nothing serious, they just are not sure what), I decided to spend the remaining day of my weekend, (which falls mid week once a fortnight) resting and chilling out.

Today was a rare occasion when hubby also had the night off, as he is working all day Sunday. (So the kids will have to wait till dad comes home to bestow upon him his Father’s Day stall and home made gifts.) We planned to get the boys to bed by 8pm and sit back and watch “A FARMER WANTS A WIFE” together, instead of taping it and watching it on our own. Fantastic, excited, and chocolate ready to go, a date night!

Boys get home from school, and I have them in the shower and all cleaned up, washed hair too; throw in some groans and moans. Why do boys hate being clean? Dinner in oven, I am feeling so on top of everything, hubby chilling and doing some modelling at the kitchen table, (Not fashion modelling, but model planes and spaceships, tanks and things) that is a rare event in itself these days. Dinner served, and all before child number 2 has to go off to his drama class; everyone happy, even child number 3 is amusing himself with a new app (MY PANIO). Nothing can go wrong…………….right??

Half an hour before said Drama class, Child number 2 announces that he has some homework due tomorrow.

“What kind of homework?” I ask.

“A project” he states.

“A project on what?” I ask again.

“I chose Japan” he pouts.

He starts telling me that the class started said project a few weeks ago, when we all had that horrible flu and spent 2 weeks sick and at home, (just so I now feel guilty) and he throws in, for good measure, that he is behind and doesn’t understand what the teacher wants him to do, but it must be done by morning or he will be in trouble.

Right, my inner self is screaming “YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME RIGHT!” But the mummy in me says, “OK show me what you have done so far.”

He heads to his school bag while I am still prattling on about why he didn’t start this over the weekend, or tell me sooner that he needed help, and why he had played games all afternoon yesterday, and said, swore even, that he had NO HOMEWORK!!!!!!!!!

He returns, not having answered any of my very important questions, a skill which he seems well mastered in, and shows me his assignment. I kid you not, I looked down and I saw a title page. “JAPAN”. I turn the page thinking that there is more……yes, there is more, a map of the world and a hand drawn flag. I think to myself, “OK, that is a bit sloppy, but it’s a start”, when I turn the page again………………….NOTHING………………..
next page……………..NOTHING…………………….next page………………NOTHING…………well you get the idea!

So I question again.

“What do you have to write about?”
“Where is the homework assignment sheet?”
“What questions does your teacher want answered?”
“What do you have to do?”

To all of the above I just got a flat… “I DON’T KNOW”

I did consider walking away, just saying well too bad buddy, you should have thought about it sooner, but I just couldn’t do it. So instead I turned on the computer, and began shouting………………”What things do you want to put in it? How about Bullet Trains, Japanese Food, Art, Dress, Gardens, Temples…………….”

“Yes” he smiles and adds, money. I have to add, what kind of money do they use?

“OK, I can work with this!”

Hubby takes him to Drama, while I go hunting on-line for above mentioned facts and start printing out pictures, while issuing threats to Child number 3 to remove himself with MY PANIO app, before I insert it where the sun don’t shine! Mummy can only listen to such noise for a short while and it’s now been an hour!!!!

After an hour, (due to being on dial up, man I miss broadband), I feel I have enough stuff to fill his assignment book. Child 2 returns from Drama class, and we get gluing, and colouring and cutting. During which time Child 1 gets home from Uni, and is all worked up over the book she is reading, and I have to tell her “NOT NOW”! But she comes in handy with her knowledge of Japanese, (I guess she did learn something in Jap Class!) and is able to write some words out for us in lovely swirly lines. The assignment is starting to look very nice, but I still have no idea if we are following the brief??

The clock is ticking, and Child 1 is spontaneously bursting out into tears, (Still reading last instalment of the HUNGER GAMES trilogy), and it is getting closer and closer to our 8 pm dead line. Hubby takes Child 3 to bed for some one on one, (playing Angry Birds on the Android Tablet) and to save mummy’s sanity, while I start rushing Child 2 on his finishing touches.

With one minute to go, and after 3 solid hours, our assignment on Japan is complete!

I tell you, if I don’t get an A for that I will be annoyed!

So much for my relaxing, chill-out day!

Oh the things we do for our kids. ^_^






Oh and Hubby and I did get to sit back and watch our TV show and share some chocolate. We only missed a bit of the start, and I only had to share him with our Kitten. Not a bad way to end the day. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment